Monday, July 5, 2010

THE SHAKE WEIGHT… Effective or NOT?

So, we’ve all seen the Shake Weight on TV promising that if you just stand and shake this little dumbbell looking instrument for 6 minutes a day, you are destined for great arms.



As I sat enjoying the 4th of July Barbeque at my boyfriend’s family home, my eyes caught a glimpse of a partially opened box. As I looked closer, I saw what appeared to be a shake weight sitting in the partially opened box. I immediately examined the contents of the box. As I opened the brochure to found about 4-5 different ways that the Shake Weight can be used along with one dumbbell.



I took the weight out of the box and begin looking at it as if it’s a foreign object. Soon after, I ask my boyfriend’s sister “where’s the on/off button” her response is “there’s not one.” THAT WAS DECEPTION #1 for me. I don’t know about you, but the commercials on TV make it look like you simply hold the weight and it shakes itself…that’s not the case. You have to shake it yourself...go figure.

I proceed to shake the weight and try to perform some of exercises shown on the box. Needless to say…I was not impressed. Obviously, my boyfriend’s sister wasn’t either, which probably explains why it was still in the box virtually untouched.




So, is the SHAKE WEIGHT worth the special $19.95 (or $39.95 in some cases)?


I have said it before…I’m an old school exercise kind of gal. I like to stick to the basics. In my opinion, you can get the same results from simply doing bicep curls, triceps extensions, or any arm exercise for that matter with a set of regular dumbbells. You can also get the same effects at a MUCH CHEAPER PRICE by filling a 2 liter coke bottle with water and performing the exercises shown on the Shake Weight. As you have probably gathered by now...I do not think the shake weight is worth spending 20 hard earned dollars for...most definitely not 40 bucks. You can purchase a set of dumbells for much cheaper and get better results.

2 comments:

  1. Being a fellow personal trainer myself, I agree wholeheartedly with you Ms Fit Chick. The commercials on t.v. advertising the latest and greatest fitness equipment are designed to cater to viewers desperately trying to trim and tone, especially those seeking results fast. There's so much the ads don't reveal and that's what leads to purchased items either not being used or rarely used. They are very deceptive. If individuals truly want to develop better looking bodies and live healthier lifestyles, they're going to have to get back to basics and off of the couch. You don't have to spend hours a day in the gym to get there either. Keep inspiring others Fit Chick. You're doing a great job!

    Tim Williams
    Certified Personal Fitness Trainer
    Cordova, TN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information! I was thinking about getting one but I will stick with my dumbbells.- Tina M.

    ReplyDelete