Wednesday, June 9, 2010

When Life Slows You Down… You Better Listen

Yes, I know I’m suppose to be writing reviews on fitness products…but just hold your horses…the next one is coming soon! But, until then I wanted to share with you the role of mental and spiritual health in your overall well being. Of course, I have come to this realization from my own experience. I am a holistic health advocate and can teach the six dimensions of health with my eyes closed and hands tied behind my back…but this one day…June 8, 2010 made me realize just how important a holistic view of health is.

I have been on the go every weekend since April 2, 2010…and there are no signs of it slacking up until mid-July! My poor car is racking up the highway mileage! In addition I work full-time and I train at a gym 1-2 days out of the week. This has become my life for the past few months…with no time for ME! I haven’t even taken the time cook me a nice dinner; it’s been PB&J sandwiches (on a hamburger bun) or leftovers from lunch every night. So yes, this schedule has been hectic and I have felt my body growing weary, but each week I find myself living by the phrase “If I just make it through this week I’ll be ok.” From grant writing at work to traveling home to see every aspect of by baby sister’s senior year festivities to being a bridesmaid for my sorority sister…you would think I had an “S” stamped on my chest for “SUPERWOMAN.” Well on yesterday, June 8, 2010 my body…and my car said “ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.”

Last night, as I took my (what seemed to be normal) drive home from the gym I had a car accident…no it wasn’t bad at all and no one was hurt (Thank God). After all the legalities and my sit on the bathroom floor crying session, a light from the Heavens above shone on me and it all became clear “SLOW DOWN…before you go insane!” At that point it was clear how mental and spiritual health are major components of the whole concept of health. I firmly believe that spiritual and mental health are the core components in which all other components (social, physical, emotional, etc) revolve around. These are the components that keep an individual grounded and provide the leverage for success in all other areas. For me, it’s safe to say that, lately, I have been healthy in all other aspects of life…except my mental and spiritual. Therefore, I have experienced a small imbalance in my overall well being.

Now, my little story may be small in comparison to someone else’s, but that’s what it took for me to open my eyes. While your core dimensions of health may be different from mine, it is important to realize that ALL dimensions work together. Remember that to achieve optimum well being you must find YOUR balance…and be sure that your spiritual and mental health don’t get the short end of the stick.

This little whirlwind of events gave me the desire to encourage you to take care of yourself spiritually and mentally…because if you don’t…WHO WILL??


Lastly, a pic of my baby...or in the words of one of my BFF's...my ALTIMA09.
After only 6 months I guess you can say she's broken in now :(

2 comments:

  1. Keitra Hill, you need to slow down and smell the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Kourtster! Good Post! Glad you are okay sis!

    ReplyDelete